Fast sailing

From: Michele Sladko (michele@whidbeyisland.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 09:12:10 PST

Hi Everybody,

I sailed SeaHorse (P-15) on sunday in some gusty winds
that turned out to be stronger than anything I've sailed her
in yet! Once my sailing companion convinced me to hang
on through the gusts and not loose the main (my panic button
after all those wretched 'turtling' stories), well, the boat just
picked up and soared! I would SWEAR that we were planing
like a hoby-cat! The 'weather-helm' (?) was so heavy and hard
to hold that I got a charlie-horse in my triceps trying to keep the
tiller centered. Sheeeesh! The sound of the hull splashing
across the surface of the water was so different than what I've
heard before...

my question is... CAN the potter plane? I would like to know
if it's possible, what with our flat hull shaped just like a planing
motor-boat. I could have been wrong, so I want to know if planing
is possible in our dear little P-15's.

Michele Sladko
P-15 #2254 "SeaHorse"
Oak Harbor, WA