Standing rigging tension

From: Jim Nolan (panache426@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 07:29:43 PST

I'm replacing all the standing rigging on my P-19 with two objectives in
mind:
a. Making the rig easily tunable with turnbuckles and a backstay shroud
lever
b. Making it easy for one person to raise the mast and lock the forestay
(backstay shroud lever).

My questions are:

If I set it up so the upper shrouds have 250 pounds of tension (I'm using a
Loos tension gauge)will it be easy for me to raise the mast to the fully
upright position? Will I have to loosen the turnbuckles and then re tension
them every time I set up the mast?

I put tape on the shrouds labelling whether they went in the front/rear hole
of the chainplate. The markings have since dissolved. Does the short stay
go in the front or rear hole?

What should the rake of the mast be? What is a good range of slack/tension
(in inches or knot-secs) that the backstay adjuster should allow?

What is the thing on the top of the mast called? It's the thing that has two
pulleys and the backstay attaches to it (also keep the mast doughnut from
coming off the top of the mast). The pulleys are cracked and I'd like to
replace them. Do I have to replace the whole thing? The pulleys have riveted
axles.

Thanks for the help,

Jim Nolan P-19 Panache #426 Colorado