Re: Pronunciation, please?

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 11:37:02 PST

Your error is in spelling, not hearing. The foresail is "jib," pronounced
as it sounds, but the second word is "jibe" not "jib," as in jibing instead
of coming about. It is pronounced with a long "i" as in "bite." The word
"gybe" is pronounced the same as "jibe," and my dictionary says "gybe" is a
variant of "jibe."

Harry
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA