RE: prevent black mold - rub rail

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 10:28:52 PST

Hi folks,

About a year ago, I suggested using acetone on the rubrail and gelcoat to
remove stains, and it raised some questions about damaging the rubber,
gelcoat and other plastics.

On the older boats, the rubrail is a channel-shaped piece of rubber that
fits over a butted seam. Acetone does dissolve the top layer of UV damaged
rubrail on the older models. So does lacquer thinner (which is even more
volitile than acetone); however lacquer thinner will also frequently disolve
cured lacquer (duh, no surprise there), paint, etc. If your rubrail looks
like it has "goosebumbs", you know what I mean. It also removes all kinds
of stains from the rubrail.

I don't how acetone affects the plastic/rubber rubrail on the newer Potters,
the boats with the rubrail inserted into a metal frame.

I would take care to keep the acetone off sealants and adhesives. I don't
know how acetone affects various sealants once they're UV aged. It may
affect sealant around hardward thru the deck. It may affect the the
adhesive used on the older Potters to hold the rubrail on. (My rubrail
stays on without adhesive; it stays attached by friction alone.) I would
test the acetone on adhesive or sealant in a small, inconsequential place
before using it indiscriminately. The acetone will not affect the 3M 5200
sealand used on the hull to deck joint of our boats. It might however,
affect other unknown sealants that owners used to seal leaks that developed
as the boat aged.

Despite all my precautionary advise, if you use the acetone prudently and
carefully, you should have no problems. Use just enough on a cloth to
accomplish the cleaning -- don't saturate the cloth to the point of
dripping. Patience is a virtue -- work carefully; avoiding mistakes and
mishaps is always quicker than fixing mistakes. Don't put the can on the
deck where you can knock it over and spill it so it runs all over the boat;
leave it on the ground, a foot or two under the hull, where you won't kick
it.

Acetone will not damage properly dured fiberglass, either epoxy or
polyester. It will not harm properly cured gelcoat, which is basically a
polyester resin. If the resin was improperly catalyzed (or contaminated)
and therefore never cured, but merely dried out, the acetone will remove it.
If the resin cured properly, forming the crosslinked polymer chians that
give it strength, the acetone won't hurt it.

(If you did some fiberglass or gelcoat work and it took weeks to harden,
you've probably got improperly cured resin. It's got no strength anyhow, so
you may as well remove it and redo it, IMHO).

Acetone will take a great variety of stains out of gelcoat. However, it
also removes wax very effieciently, so you'll need to reapply wax
afterwards.

There ARE some forms of plastic that acetone will melt. For example, I once
tried to wipe off my electic drill after getting resin on it -- and the top
layer of the case came off. Unfortunately, the rag I used was dripping wet,
and the acetone got in between the battery and the battery slot. The
plastic melted between the two parts and then re-hardened, and I have to cut
and chisel the battery out.

TILEX/CHLOROX FOR MOLD AND MILDEW

If the problem is mold spots, a solution of equal parts of water and Clorox
applied for a few minutes will both remove the spot and kill the mold. It
will not harm any plastics or fiberglass or gel coat. It's the chemical
equivalent of Tilex, but alot cheaper. It will dissolve deteriorated old
sealants occasionally, based on my experience with old caulking in showers,
despite the claims made on the Tilex bottle that it won't harm silicon
sealants. SAFETY USING TILEX: If you use great quantities of this stuff,
make sure you have adequate ventilation; the fumes will irritate your eyes,
lungs and throat. Wear ordinary household gloves to protect your skin and
rinse off any that gets on your skin. This stuff is moderately strong acid.

ACETONE SAFETY RULES

Wear "chemical resistant acid gloves" or nitrile gloves when working with
acetone. Acetone will absorb to some extent thru the skin, carrying
whatever is dissolved in it into your blood stream. It's possible to absorb
enough thru your skin to make you feel sick or develop a permenant
hypersensitivity to some chemical.

Nitrile gloves are the blue or green "latex-like" ones sold in automotive
shops. Latex gloves will dissolve when using acetone. Acid gloves are the
thick black ones sold at hardward stores for about $9 a pair. They last
forever and resist most chemicals.

Make sure you have adequate ventilation!!!! Don't work in a closed area like
a small shed, unless you have lots of ventilation. Don't smoke near any
thinners or solvents.

General disclaimer to cover my butt in our litigious society: Check on line
for a Hazardous Material Sheet for Acetone for more info. They're published
by the government and corporations under OSHA rules. The info I've given is
an amateur's opinion.

Work safe,