Bouyancy of blue Dow Corning styrofoam

From: SVsukoshi@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 21:58:59 PDT

Yo fellow Potterers:

I know this topic has come up before, but I'm now devising how to add the
flotation back under the cockpit seats and/or floor that I took out to do
repairs this winter and am trying to figure how much I need. The Dow Corning
website says that a 7" x 20" x 8' styrofoam 'dock float' will support 425
lbs. If my math is correct this is ~55lbs/cubic foot. Is this the same
stuff that the warehouse stores sell to insulate house foundations? I'm
figuring two 2" x 2' x 8' sheets of it (~293lbs @ 55lbs/cubic foot) should
be enough to supplement what the factory put between the liner and the hull
up front. Three sheets of it <and it's cheap at about $11/sheet> should
support nearly the entire hull weight but might be hard to fit into those
small odd shaped spaces. It's certainly more than was under the seats
originally on Sukoshi's 1980 vintage hull. Thoughts? I'll post some
pictures of it when I'm through. No milk cartons or inner tubes, please ;^)

Bill de Ment P15 #1044 'Sukoshi'
Eagle, Idaho