Re: New Potter Owner

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 03:06:44 PDT

>>I'm a soon-to-be proud owner of a new Potter 19. I've sailed a 16' Hobie
>on
>>Lk. Michigan here in Chicago for 17 years, and with the kids now older
>>(11,10, & 9) have stepped up to a nice mono-hull. My question to the group

>is
>>"Are there any idiosyncracies of a Potter 19 that would be helpful to know

>>before going out on the Lake?"

Hmm... a few off the top of my head: put the keel down before sails go up. If
she broaches, let go of everything and just hang on... weight forward is helpful
for speed.

>I am instinctively familiar with the
>Hobie's
>>strengths and weakness, but am a little nervous about the new one.
>>Particularly, I've read where the Potters do not point well (which the
>Hobie
>>does very well).

well she won't point that well! but 40-50 degrees off the apparent wind is doable
if you do your part.

>I'm also curious as to the stability of the 19. I've
>read
>>where she heels over right away,

initial tenderness goes away after only a few degrees. You'll notice its not
nearly so tender as any round bottom boat of similar displacement.

>then stays put.

yep. Once the flat part of the aft section of hull (theres gotta be a name for
that) starts getting wet, she gets real stiff.

>I've joined the local
>yacht
>>club (Columbia) in the hopes of accessing some experience, but they've
>never
>>heard of a Potter.

If you've got that much experience on a hobie the potter will give you no troubles.
It might frustrate you of course since a hobie is such a high-performance craft
and the potter is a lot slower (but much nicer in the rain!) :)
http://www.nwlink.com