Precision 18 capsize (P18)

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 13:58:25 PDT

Seems to be quite quiet on the list...

To all of you who love sailboat disaster stories I am sending this message I
got from the Precision sailboat owners list. This is so you don't think
Potter's are only ones that get into trouble.

Best
SF

<<
Subj: Precision: Precision 18 capsize
Date: 4/6/00 11:40:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From: jfgy@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU (Jfgy)

Greetings,

I just wanted to share my experience of a knockdown and capsize during the
maiden voyage of my newly purchased 1986 P-18. I've corresponded about it
with several other P-18 owners who offered a number of suggestions. I've
learned a good bit from the experience. Someone suggested that I also post
here so others can see what happened.

I've been sailing smaller boats for about two years but had not been out with
the P-18 previously. I was sailing with a friend who is very experienced and
races a San Juan 21. The wind was steady 12-15 knots with higher gusts. We
sailed with main and the standard jib and did ok. We did heel quite a bit
but were under control. We then experienced a puff that was moderately
strong. I immediately released the mainsheet but went over almost
immediately. We did not sense any tendency for the boat to right itself
after the knockdown. The starboard cockpit hatch was latched, but we had the
companionway fully open with hatchboard removed. The boat quickly flooded
and only by considerable luck were we able to get it towed into shallow water
without complete sinking. Fortunately we were both wearing PFDs. With aid
from several good samaritans we got it righted and bailed, finally pumped out
and eventually on the trailer with only minor damage (a few scratches, a
slightly bent stanchion, and a corroded electrical switch panel).
Unfortunately, I had not yet begun installing flotation, but that would not
have prevented the capsize.

I really like this boat and look at this philosophically - learning the hard
way about its limits. I hope that this posting and and any resulting
discussion here will help others learn from my experience.

Regards,

Jess Gregory
 P-18 #111
 Gainesville, FL