Pacific passage update

From: Bill Payne (bpayne@sanynet.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 15:54:27 PDT

Potters,

  I'm here in Osaka until April 13 when I fly to Hong Kong. We were
scheduled to leave April 1 but that was pushed back to the 15th because
there are heavy winter winds in the straits. Now there might be a second
delay as 'the Spaniard' will be joining us. He has reservations on the
21st but might be able to push his departure from Spain up to the 11th.
The 4 of us will sail up the Formosa Strait to Okinawa and then to Sasebo,
Japan. There will be a short leg on to Niigita where we will lay over
until mid May. Jim and Diana have visas for Russia between June 1 and
June 15. The Spaniard and I do not have visa yet. So, if the plan works,
we will go to Russia. If not, I'll be back here in Osaka sailing the Catch
22. Mid June to July 1 should see us in Hokkaido near where the volcano is
now performing. July 1 we are scheduled pick up 2 more crew members and to
leave Hokkaido for the Alleutians. We will be at sea 5 days before we hit
the outer islands. We will work our way to Kodiak Island and then to
Sitka, I think. From there it will be down the inland passage to Seattle.
We expect to arrive in Seattle August 1. I hope to see Tim and others from
the Northwest Potters then. I'll hang at my son's for a while in Seattle
before returning to SoCal. (I'll be looking for a ride on Lake Washington
or the sound???)

As you know, I'm sailing on the Nalu 4. The fourth of a series of at least
6 Nalus built for racing by an apparently rich man around Balboa,
California. Her most recent victory was a race from Ensanada to Manila
about 2 years ago. She is about 48', cold molded (wood). sloop rigged with
an added fore staysail. The original owner was a tall man so the cabin is
more than 6.5 feet, comfortable for ocean racing. She has radar. (and two
heads)

Jim and Diana Jessie have owned the Nalu 4 for about 15 years, living
aboard almost all that time (with their cat). They are 4 years out on this
second voyage. Their first voyage, a circumnavagation, took 7 years.
During that time, they have collected a 'family' of around 50 people who
crew for them. Jim has a select crew for his racing. The primary
prerequsite for joining the family is experience sailing dingy sized boats
and no preconcieved desire to become the master of the vessel. The primary
mission of the crew is to be able to keep the sials full and trimmed.
Diana has written 2 sailing books and is a coauthor of the US Sailing
certification Series. She contributes monthly to the Seattle sailing rag,
48*(?) and others. Jim was a marine surveyor in the Bay area. He is of
the old school and carries a sextant on board in case the satalites fall
out of the sky.

I'll be signing off this list on the 12th. I'll miss your messages. I've
arranged to send Dennis progress reports. Have a great sailing summer.

Bill Payne
Pilgrim
Catch 22