Re: Bad mast raising experience

From: Robert Skinner (robert@140.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 20:45:14 PDT

"Nancy E. Wigal" wrote:
> Had a mast raising disaster Friday...
> I accept the fact I will always need assistance to step the mast.

[Wouldn't be too quick to do that. With some decent engineering, a
modicum of practice, and patience, almost all mass-related problems
can be overcome. You'll probably get a workable suggestion within a
few days from someone else who has already had and solved the problem
you face.

If not, I'll meet with you and see what we can do. A winch, a spar or
two, and a few sheaves in the right place can make a world of
difference. You have already heard about using an extra pair of
gudgeons* and/or an a-frame**. There are other possible links and/or
jigs to stabilize things if you have wind, waves, or are interrupted
while at a critical phase of the raising operation. You need a system
that provides low-effort control at every phase of the mast-raising
operation under all conditions. This needs exploration.]

> I am scared to death to entertain the notion of trailering the
> boat. I have this thought that the boat and mast have beaten me...

[No way. You have a brain. I have seen it working. Just a matter of
getting it hooked up right with your boat.]

> Perhaps ... if I were a larger individual with more lead in
> my can...

[Speaking as one with major lead in my can, I can say that it ain't
all it is cracked up to be. I use field expedient rigging all the
time. If I can move a couple of tons under tight control with muscle
power, you can certainly raise a mast.]

> If any of you all out there can give me some constructive, positive
> feedback, I’ll take it.

[All you want, on your terms -- by phone, if you are in the DC Metro
calling area. I'll do what I can if you haven't got a more useful
offer from someone local with more P19-specific experience.]

> ... I even bought a bottle of cheap champagne...

[Hold onto it. There will be a day.]

> ... Otherwise, I’m going to marina shopping for a slip real soon.

[Don't sign anything yet.]

* SolarFry: "I installed a second set of gudgeons 2" above the
existing ones about 1/4" to right of them so I could use rudder and
raise and lower mast while underway."

** Also courtesy of SolarFry -- Bill Longyard's page
http://pweb.netcom.com/~longyard/Mastraise.html: "This method employs
an "A" frame, the two white poles attached athwart the mast at the
gunwales, and coming together at the bow where they are rigidly fixed
to each other"

--
Robert Skinner, Rockville, Maryland
'87 Potter 15 HMS #1618 "Little Dipper"