[WWP] Re: NW potter rendezvous

From: rogerm164@home.com
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 10:34:09 PDT

Started out late Saturday morning. I got up late, but still managed
to make it to the Magnuson ramp by 11:00, which was my planned time.
It was easy to spot where to hook up with the other people as there
was a bright shiny P-15 sitting in the parking lot. Met JT and Tim
and couple who came down to the ramp just to look at the boats. They
are thinking about getting one and wanted to see what they looked
like.

Got set up and put the boat in the water. Magnuson Park is very nice.
Lots of room for many boats to launch and retrieve at the same time.
But the ramp is a bit shallow. I had to back up quite a way to get
the boat down in the water.

This was my first time launching the boat since I put UHMW pads on
the bunk boards. I had also put new hard yellow plastic rollers on
and greased them just to make sure. When I first pushed the boat, it
didn't move. So I set my feet and pushed a little harder. Watch out!
The boat slid off the trailer like there was a gorilla pulling on the
back end. That white plastic stuff REALLY works! Wish I had done this
a long time ago.

We eventually met up with all the other Potters out in the lake. It
was a lot of fun sailing along with the group. Took lots of pictures.
We sailed back toward the park after going almost all the way across
the lake to Kirkland. Michelle on her P-15 was coming out to join the
crowd. We finally wound up in the middle of the lake rafted up
together. In total, we had two P-19's and three P-15's after Ken
joined us in the afternoon. We all had a great time talking together
and peeking into each other's boats to see how other people did
things. I know I got a couple of ideas that I am going to put into
practice on my boat.

We broke up in the late afternoon and three of us decide to head for
Lake Union for dinner. Unfortunately, it was against the wind and we
were not making much head way. As I had a 4 year old with me who was
getting hungry, I fired up the iron wind and we headed into the dock
to find a McDonald's.

I wound up motoring across the lake to Kirkland and stayed over night
at the city dock. It was nice, fairly calm, but cold!

Sunday morning, we headed back out on the lake. Eventually I heard
from Michelle. She, Eric and Tim were heading my way. We met in the
middle of the lake again. I have some pretty shots of
Eric's "Victoria" under spinnaker and took a couple of short videos
of the three other boats.

Sundays sail had some rain, no sun, but a little more wind I think. I
was sure I was doing hull speed for a while there.

I had to get on the road and back home a little early, so I left the
other boats and headed for the ramp and home.

I am looking forward to our next get together. There was some talk of
Sucia Island in the San Juan's this summer. Here's to hoping we are
able to pull something off.

Roger Metcalf
P-19 #471 "Manstoy"
Tacoma, WA
Puget Sound

--- In WWPotter@egroups.com, "Eric Johnson" <etj@n...> wrote:
> Boy, this weekend was a lot of fun. A bunch of us got together in
Lake
> Washington east of Seattle. On saturday is was me and Roger Metcalf
in our
> P19s (#461 and #471), JT, Ken Silverman, and Michele Sladko in
their P15s.
> Scott (?) owns a P15 too, but crewed with JT.
>
> After a couple equipment challenges I think we were mostly all
together
> around 1pm. We sailed back and forth a bit between Sand Point and
Kirkland.
> There was a healthy south wind blowing. Eventually we all rafted up
in the
> middle of the lake. We must have remained that way for hours, just
talking
> about and showing off our boats. It was really a lot of fun and a
nice group
> of folks.
>
> I had evening plans so I took off that evening. I'm not sure what
the others
> did.
>
> On Sunday, many of us got together again - Roger, myself, michele,
and Tim
> Spofford (who wasn't feeling good on saturday) in his P19. This day
we had a
> strong north wind. Tim and I enjoyed the downwind run for 4 miles
to meet
> the others. We sailed around a bit and took lots of pictures. Roger
had to
> head home, so we parted ways. The rest of us sailed into the
Kirkland City
> Marina. Michele was the first to arrive, and I watched her
gracefully sail
> right up to the lee dock. Then Tim did exactly the same thing. I
wasn't
> feeling nearly so skillful so I pulled my sails and motored in (and
STILL