[WWP] genoa

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 00:37:24 PDT

>BTW What is a Genoa? I assume it's larger than my Lapper but I've been wrong

>before.

Yep. Its the secret weapon us low-wind sailors use to get places fast. :) Basically,
its a big, overlapping jib, typically with a low clew so the foot hugs the deck,
reducing induced drag. On mine, the clew comes back as far as the cabin bulkhead.

Poled out with a whisker pole, its damn near as fast downwind as my spinnaker.
Perhaps even faster. Upwind, it probably doesn't point quite as high as a standard
jib with judy's cabintop tracks, but in under 10 knots of wind I'd be willing
to bet the VMG of the genoa vs. the handkerchief jib is better.

If you have a lot of rail meat you can carry the genoa in some pretty high winds
for an exhilarating ride. I know several of us love this sail so much we'll
carry it even if we have to reef the main to do so.

The downsides to using it are that without a window, its nearly impossible to
see on one side of your boat when beating to windward. And being a large sail,
its a little more of a handfull to hoist, douse, and fold than the smaller headsails.

Its certainly my favorite headsail for most of my sailing conditions.
http://www.nwlink.com

Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
Click here for more details.