Information content [was Re: [WWP] unsubscribe]

From: Dennis W. Farrell (DFARRELL@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 15:51:34 PDT

Tom: that's the way the list has been operated since its inception some 5
years ago. Operation on the new site hasn't changed that. The S/N ratio
(aka information content) has varied from month to month and season to
season. The definition of satisfactory information content also varies from
person to person. We've had flame wars over the subject.

<maintainer's soapbox>
Both sides have now made their critical comments as it is their privilege
to do. Let me suggest to the group that if there are people who consistently
post things you don't care about, put their names/addresses in your kill
file. You won't have the aggravation, but I'd almost guarantee you that
you'll also miss something you would like to have heard.

One outcome of this type contention is that people start doing a lot of
their
emailing off-list. This gets to be habitual and the whole list eventually
suffers as people also start addressing their substantive comments off-list.
It's that fragmentation which could lead to disappearance of the list.
</maintainer's soapbox>

Your thoughts?

Thanks -- dwf (Potter Mailing List maintainer)