Re: [WWP] Re: Mast Raising

From: Bill Blohm (bblohm@boi.hp.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 08:23:28 PDT

Thanks for the kind words, Ron. A lot of what you describe is in my
future plans, particularly re-routing some of the lines and installing
downhauls. I've got, but have not yet installed and tried, a jib control
system described by another Potter sailor.

You're lucky to be where you can scrounge closeout bins at chandlers.
There isn't such a thing here unless you're a bass fisherman, it
appears. My son-in-law also suggested a jam cleat or some such so that I
don't have to use my teeth. For now, my teeth will have to do while I
figure out the cabintop layout I'm going to have to set up. Then I'll
probably make one of the jam cleats or line clutches do double duty.

That's one neat thing about this list...how much you learn and how many
ideas it sparks.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
Nampa, ID

Ron Magen wrote:
<SNIP>
> I learned to use my teeth to handle sheets when I was a dinghy sailor in college, and I did it when my wife didn't want me to cleat any lines because she was very frightened . . .of course she thought I was nuts. She's a bit calmer now - or hides it better - and crews when we sail - - including the foredeck work. MY POINT is that if you get a line clutch (I
> got mine by scrounging the 'closeout' bins at marine stores and boatshows) you can run your line through one on your cabintop - - they will allow ONE-WAY motion of the line when the lever is DOWN. Good positive control. They come in singles, doubles, and triples.
>
> Good luck, and give me a shout if you want more explanation or Part Numbers
>
> Ron Magen
> P-19, #575 (1989) 'Quahog'

Nick Price plays Chipshot.com clubs, shouldn't you? Try a
custom-fit 7-iron from Chipshot.com for only $25! 30-day money
back guarantee.