[WWP] Re: Mast Raising

From: Ron Magen (quahog@access1.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 16:38:42 PDT

> Bill,

> Nice site, good idea . . . well thought out.

    I intended to do something similar over the winter for Spring launch, but a 'minor' problem forestalled that - when the marina blasted the bottom & keel, [I wanted the bottom 'walnut shell' blasted so I could change bottom paint formulations, and the keel sand blasted to get into the pits so I could do a proper fairing job] they accidentally went right
through the paint, 15 mils of epoxy barrier coat AND the gel coat !! The Repair Manager swore he could 'finesse' the sand to do the 'walnut shell' job, but someone else did the job and the damage was done before he caught him. I must say that they were quite apologetic . . . and have kept the boat, on stands, the trailer in their yard, and are re-doing the
entire bottom AT NO CHARGE. Of course all my 'scheduled maintenance' went overboard . . .

I replaced my mast with a 'squared profile' rather than the 'teardrop' of the original; one of the first things I did was 'slug' the main and this profile is for the 1/2" (nominal) slugs. The mast is also 9 inches taller than the original; this allows 'full hoist' without any detrimental effect on tophamper balance or double blocking of the masthead sheave.
I have also set-up the rig to allow main & jib hoisting from the cockpit, with turning blocks at the mast base, deck organizers to change lead direction 90 degrees, AND LINE CLUTCHES.

I learned to use my teeth to handle sheets when I was a dinghy sailor in college, and I did it when my wife didn't want me to cleat any lines because she was very frightened . . .of course she thought I was nuts. She's a bit calmer now - or hides it better - and crews when we sail - - including the foredeck work. MY POINT is that if you get a line clutch (I
got mine by scrounging the 'closeout' bins at marine stores and boatshows) you can run your line through one on your cabintop - - they will allow ONE-WAY motion of the line when the lever is DOWN. Good positive control. They come in singles, doubles, and triples.

Good luck, and give me a shout if you want more explanation or Part Numbers

Ron Magen
P-19, #575 (1989) 'Quahog'

> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:50:59 -0600
> From: Bill Blohm <bblohm@boi.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: Bad mast raising experience
>
> This details my home-built mast raising system. It makes it so much easier for me to raise my 1988 P-19's heavy mast.
>
> http://www.cyberhighway.net/~kc7mwa/docs/mast-raising.html
>
> Bill B.
> P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
> Nampa, ID

Do you play golf? Check out Chipshot.com to
find everything you need to enjoy the game of golf