RE: [WWP] Potter List addressing: Your choice?

From: Rick Swalwell (rswalwell@medicaprx.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:31:00 PDT

ModeB

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis W. Farrell [mailto:DFARRELL@ridgecrest.ca.us]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 12:07 PM
To: WWPotter@egroups.com
Subject: [WWP] Potter List addressing: Your choice?

I've gotten several notes from people who dislike the current "reply"
operation of our Potter list. I'd like to see whether there is consensus
for changing the "reply" operation.

Following is my explanation of the two addressing modes available for use.
The explanations apply primarily to Microsoft's and Netscape's email
software. Others, especially those using UNIX boxes, may have different
results. OTOH those using UNIX boxes are usually proficient enough to infer
their own alternatives from the explanations given. One other note.
Replying to the digests is different and will be covered another time.

Whether they "reply to sender" or "reply to all", most people have their
email software set up to quote the message to which they are replying. This
quoted text in most cases I'm aware of shows both the originator's address
and the list address. That's the basis for my cut and paste comments below

What I'd like you to do. Read the mode definitions below. If you don't
care which is used, do nothing.

If you prefer one or the other send me a note at dfarrell@ridgecrest.ca.us
with either Mode A or Mode B [not both, not neither <G>] in the subject
line. Please - don't send to the list, and don't send any text - just your
vote in the subject line.

Thanks -- dwf (Potter Mailing List maintainer)

-------------
Mode A: When "replying to" a list item, the reply is automatically directed
to the whole list. To direct a reply to the individual who posted
the note, copy the individual's address from the text you're replying to.
Paste it to the
address line, replacing the WWPotter@egroups.com address. If "Reply to all"
is used,
it sends doubles to the *entire* list.
[This is the way the list currently operates. It may tend to increase the
number of replies sent to the whole list, possibly increasing mail volume.
This annoys some
people. OTOH (IMHO) it may strengthen the list community be keeping more
discussions on-list. I believe that too many off-list discussions tend to
weaken the community]
-------------
Mode B: When "replying to" a list item, the reply is automatically directed
only to the individual who posted the note. To direct the reply to the
whole list, copy the WWPotter@egroups.com address from the text you're
replying to. Paste it to the address line replacing the individual's email
address. This can also be accomplished by "Reply to all", which sends
doubles to the originator. [This is the way the list operated before the
transition. That mode had many people getting doubles when people replied
to them. AFAIK there is no necessity to this, it's just that people get
careless when using "Reply to all". Some feel that it is "safer" in that
one may be less likely to post a private note to the whole community.]

Do you love your Mother?
Click Here

Do you love your Mother?
Click Here