[WWP] New mast arrives!

From: Scott Pack (scott.pack@pictureiq.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 12:24:15 PDT

Hi Gang,

I'm so excited, a new mast for our 1984 HMS P-19 arrived today! The old
mast had seen some serious abuse by previous owner(s). Somehow there was a
twist in it lengthwise. If you looked up the sail slot, the slot twisted
to port about 5-8 degrees. This had an pronounced affect on a particular
tack. A previous owner also attempted to straighten the twist, but caused
more damage in the form of large dents. As part of her refit, it was
decided to seek a replacement.

Older boats used a Dwyer DM-6 mast. These are of a larger profile than the
current mast IM uses. Dwyer could have supplied a replacement spar, but I
would have had to pay for a stock length longer than needed and shipping
from the East coast to the West coast would have been outrageous. Having
it fitted-out for use would have been additional.

The alternative, and the route I chose was to buy a new unit from IM. The
spar IM is currently using is a copy of the DM-5, which is a smaller
profile spar. Bruce at IM gave me a really good deal on what I thought I
was getting which was the spar, step, head, stays and shrouds. Shipping
was still a lot, but it went out right away and it arrived today!

The truck pulls up this morning and in the back is a 30 foot length of 8"
diameter black plastic corrugated drainage tube, inside of which is the
mast. The driver has it secured such that a huge bow is in the middle, and
both ends had been bent in transit! I'm thinking that the spar is already
ruined, probably in worse condition than what I already have. So we unpack
it.

Luckily the only thing bent/broken is the mast head light. Which was a
total relief and surprise as I wasn't even expecting to get that.
Unwrapping the package also revealed that all the other hardware including
cleats, eyestraps, halyards, blocks, etc. was included - way beyond what I
desired, but happy to get - and for such a great price. Unfortunately IM
missed on including turnbuckles on the stays and shrouds as I had asked,
nor did it come with the step hinge for the cabin top. So I need to make
another call to IM, but I am sure everything will be settled quickly. Once
again IM has gone way beyond the call of duty to satisfy a Potter owner.

As my wife said upon seeing the mast - "It's so cute". She's right. We
must be very Potter love sick if seeing just the mast exudes such a
comment. But that's okay.

-Scott

Do you love your Mother?
Click Here