RE: [WWP] Some growing pains - (Boating Snafus!)

From: Rick Swalwell (rswalwell@medicaprx.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:10:54 PDT

Hi All...
Many years ago, I made the mistake of taking wife and kids out during a big
blow in our Venture 22'. After an exciting (death-defying - depends on your
point of view I am told)experience, we finally got back into the marina and
headed into a slip. The wind was still howling so I had the sails down and
motor revved trying to fight a cross wind to guide it into any empty slip as
I could not tie up on a buoy because of the waves. My first mate (wifely
unit) was stationed on the bow to jump off with the line as we came roaring
in... kids were on deck to help monitor (scream). Just as the first mate
was getting ready to step off, a gust of wind hit, I revved the engine, the
boat hit the dock and the last I saw of my lovely wife was her heels going
over the pulpit into the drink. With visions of her now surfacing only to
be scrunched between the boat and dock, (dont' forget screaming kids) I
somehow got us reversed, tied us up, scooped her out of the drink, all in a
nano-second.... before convulsing in laughter... realizing the entire yacht
club was watching from the safety of the clubhouse. Needless to say, wifely
unit was not in such a humorous mood. Proud to say she's still sailing with
me after all these years... even though she now goes below whenever we come
in to tie up. Oh well, go figure.

Rick S.
West Des Moines, IA
P19 to be