[WWP] Spring getting ready!

From: Ted Duke (tduke@rockbridge.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 19:18:46 PDT

Potterers,

While cleaning the interior of my Potter today I realized that the door to the
forepeak, which is open 98% of the time on my Potter, has been rubbing on the
hull-liner and has actually worn the gelcoat off. I will install a rubber pad
bumper on the gelcoat tomorrow to give the door something other than gelcoat
to rub away. If you keep that door open a lot you might want to check that
area.

After scrubbing the inside I decided the black stains (?), that I thought
might be mildew, were not going to go away, so I painted all of the fiberglas
that was not gelcoated, with white gloss paint. (80 plus degrees in the
shade, spray mask, etc...yuk). Now it looks bright and inviting instead of
scuddzy. I also removed the teak rails that the hatch cover slides in because
there were leaks at 3 of the screws; and scrubbed the carpet on the overhead
with carpet cleaner. Took most of the stains out.

I am going to make new rails tomorrow and when I install them later this week
I will use washers to cover the holes I cut in the carpet.

Question? When you install something like a hatch slide rail or a hand rail
do you use sealant just on the screw area or on the entire area of wood that
contacts the fiberglas? HMS didn't use sealant on mine anywhere.

Next project is the handrails which aren't leaking but need Sikkens and I am
sure sealant.

BTW, I got the J hook installed for reefing the main this week, and the
reefing lines.

Tomorrow I hope to get motor, rudder, safety equipment, etc. aboard, or in the
F150, so I can sail Saturday next. For those of you in Virginia that probably
means it will be a nasty rainy day or a day with NO WIND> <BG>

I know I should have been sailing already, but MARCH and April are my BUSY
months at work and there always seems to be stuff that has to be done at home.

Ted Duke, Fairfield, Virginia
1990 WWP-19 #626 "The Duchess"
   (short mast-long boom)

eGroups eLerts