Re: [WWP] Digest Number 40

From: tgcme@aol.com
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 18:22:08 PDT

Hi All. Proud new Chicago Potter 19 owner finally got the boat in Lake
Michigan this wknd. Thanks to all for all your information over the winter in
preparation. Almost no one around here has heard of a Potter, so I was deeply
relieved as I pulled up to the Burnham Hbr. boat ramp and a guy in a bronco
yelled "Potters rule" as he drove by. After 30 mins of rigging and backing
her down the ramp, I nearly had a nightmare come true. Lake Michigan is down
3 ft from last summer, and 6 ft in 3 years. The transom was barely wet !! I
had scoped out the Burnham ramp and guessed it was deep enough to float the
Potter. (The ramp drops off into 10 ft of water, so just going further out
wasn't an option.) As I sat there with my patient wife (she gets seasick in
a car) and 3 hyperexcited kids (11,10, and 9), my heart was breaking as I
glanced up at 3 really big guys watching my predicament. My embarassment
turned to opportunism as I asked them for a hand throwing the boat in. They
pitched in, and we pitched "Harry" ('cuz it's a Potter--my 9 yr old). After
thanking them profusely, I asked 'em what they were doing in September.

We fired up the 5hp Nissan, drove around Meigs Field, the Planetarium, and
Aquarium and into her new buoy in Monroe Hbr. By this time the winds had
REALLY picked up, to 25 knots, capsizing and turtling the Vanguards and
Penguins that had been having a field day. Disappointed, we wait for our
first sail, but at least she's IN. My Hull # is HMSB1115F999, so does this
make her WWP19 1115?? Thanks again for sharing the expertise.

Tom Sparks
"Harry"
Chicago, ILL

Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets
you see and manage all of your finances all in one place.