Re: [WWP] Seagull Woes

From: Jim Nolan (panache426@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 08:31:20 PDT

On my P-15 I had a Tanaka outboard that imitated your Seagull - only with a
full tank of gas. The engine used to quit after running about three minutes
and wouldn't start for about five minutes of furious pulling (bloody
knuckles). Unfortunately, where I was sailing it, three minutes from the
dock put us in a narrow channel bordered with large, sharp rocks. The first
stall had us rowing furiously away from the rocks with the wind blowing us
into them. The second outing and stall (in the same place) had us using
really long paddles to push against the rocks, keeping the boat off of them.
About the fifth outing, with the motor performing as consistently as ever, I
discovered what the anchor is useful for. By the 7th or 8th outing, with the
stalling drill perfected, I finally found the proper choke setting (about
1/3). This forever prevented the three minute stall and the famed stalling
drill team never needed to perform again.

Jim Nolan P-19 #426 Panache