[WWP] Keel rusted in trunk! What to do??

From: Scott F (sfoshee@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 08:53:40 PDT

We went out for the first sail of the season this
weekend (it turned out to be absolutely fantastic),
but it was almost cut short due to the discovery,
while in the water at the ramp, that the keel had
rusted to the inside of the CB trunk! We pounded with
a hammer, we drive a flathead screwdriver between the
board and the inside of the trunk, and we sprayed
WD-40. Finally, by my jiggling the keel forward and
backward, we finally worked it loose and (slowly) got
it down. This is a P-19, and the keel is HEAVY!

Despite more WD-40 spraying, the keel still feels
tight in the slot. I don't like this development at
all. Has this happened to anyone else? What have you
done about it? I know I should get it sandblasted and
galvanized, but I am holding out because it seems like
such a huge job. Please let me know.

- Scott Foshee
P-19 "Kidogo #380
Charleston, SC

=====
Foshee Family sailing pages! http://www.angelfire.com/sc/fosheefamilyhome/sail2.htmlCoconut Island Bookshelf - Scott's sailing and adventure favorites! http://www.angelfire.com/sc/fosheefamilyhome/books.html