Re: [WWP] Seagull Woes (small outboard woes!)

From: solarfry@aol.com
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 09:09:07 PDT

I had a 2hp Evinrude that was like a Seagull... It was hard to start and
created very strong muscles on my right arm. No matter what setting you used
on the choke it would refuse to start. Pouring ether in the carb would not
help at all. Many pulls were on that starter cord were required to get the
sucker started. It would then run either perfectly all day or crap out
halfway out of the slip. Or ... halfway into the inlet. Sometimes it would
start with one pull afte you turned it off, sometimes you could pull till
your hand got jerked off and the lil 2hp Evinrude would refuse to start.

One summer I took my wife and stepdaughter on an inflatable boat ride in the
keys off Key Largo. The lil 2hp Evinrude started on the first pull and worked
flawlessly for about an hour while we motored close to our beach. I turned it
off and it started right on first pull. Encouraged... and filled with
confidence while seeking adventure, I decided to motor us down the key for a
few miles and then motor back (in the inflatable.) We were all dressed in
bathing suits and barefoot. About 4 miles from our point of departure the lil
2hp conked out and refused to start. I checked the fuel tank and it was half
full. I checked the plug and it was clean, I checked the fuel line and fuel
flowed beautifully, I checked the spark and it was strong (shocked me silly)
It just refused to start. After trying for about one hour we decided it was
time to row... So... We rowed ashore to a houses back yard. We tried to ask
the people in the house to help but they would not come out. After another
series of pulls on the starter, enough to make both my hands want to fall off
it was decided It would not start no matter what. In the meantime people in
beach house called cops on us. The cops came and after I talked/argued with
cop he informed us we had to drag raft to street or they were going to arrest
us for trespassing. I asked cop for a ride or a cab to get my car and cop
just looked at me, got in patrol car and took off. So.. I had to walk 4 miles
barefoot on noon time hot asphalt back to get my car! It was hot and I burned
my poor feet sore walking on asphalt. After we got home that evening I
discovered that my feet had sores and I could not walk. I was unable to walk
on my burnt feet for about a week. That was death roll for that lil motor. To
date I have not survived that walk in hot asphalt. Everytime I say I am
interested in a small 2hp my wife reminds me of that faithful walk and
everybody around starts laughing...

I finally sold the lil sucker for 50 bucks to an unsuspecting soul. He
walked away happier than a honey bee in a bag of sugar. Poor thing...

Best
SF