Re: [WWP] Re: Minnkota motors - Endura 50

From: solarfry@aol.com
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 11:21:33 PDT

I have a Minn Kota Endura 50 that I have been using in Salt water now for
about 2 yrs. A long time ago I did a report to potter group indicating my
use as follows:

Test Conditions for Endura 50 conducted on canal to ICW in Florida.

Average canal depth during test 12' Some sections of canal had current flow
of 3 mph. The average wind speed was 8 MPH.

Distance from ICW to end of canal - 2.1 miles
Round trip Sailable distance over which tacking against wind is possible = 1
mile
Average wind speed 8 MPH
Widest section of canal distance .5 mile
Sailable distance on reach/run 1.1 mile
Sailable distance close reach .6 mile

Test of Minn Kota Endura 50 mounted in center stern position of Sovereign 13
( 375 lb sailboat) attached to EverStart Marine starting Deep Cycle battery,
Part # 29hdp-6, series 27, 875 cca, 205 min reserve capacity - I purchased
this 120 AMP. battery at Wal Mart. Battery is 10 ft. from motor and there is
a 10' section of 10 awg copper wire added to motor to reach battery. Wire
gets warm when motor is run at throttle position 5

This Test was performed before full tide swing.

Total distance traveled 2.69 miles per Garmin GPS 12 at Throttle setting 5.
Speed against current 3.3 mph average per Gps12
Speed with current 5.6 mph per Gps12
Slowest speed against current 1.9 MPH
Fastest speed against current 3.6 MPH

This test performed in same direction, same section of canal where current
was less than 1/4 mph...
Maximum speed with tester sitting in bow 4.6 mph sustained 3 minutes with
some bursts to 5 MPH. Maximum speed with tester sitting at stern by motor
4.0 mph sustained 3 minutes Effect of moving weight (me) forward to bow -
increase speed .6 mph

Average speed @ throttle position 4 was 3.3 mph (15 min test) this changed to
an average speed sitting in bow of 3.9 mph (15 min test)

Maximum average speed after 1 hr of use at throttle position 5 while seated
at stern - 3.9 MPH Total time to recharge battery after test (1 1/4 hrs) 2
hours @ 15 Amp charge rate.

Conclusion:
Maximum speed attained 5.2 MPH burst in section with 0 current and 0 wind.
Maximum sustainable speed over 15 mins. with Minn Kota Endura 50 is 4.0 mph
When racing you should sit in bow of sailboat to maximize speed.
Maximum range at position 5 of throttle is 10 miles or 2 hrs.
Maximum range at position 4 of throttle is 20 miles or 4 hrs.
Speeds under position 3 are not usable by me. I like to get there...
Size of wire used to carry battery power to motor affects max speed of motor.
I should use AWG 8 or less wire to run wire from batt to motor (12').
Speed is affected by wind speed. Heading into 8 mph wind slows boat down by
1MPH.

Best
SF

In a message dated 5/10/00 8:36:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,