[WWP] Re: Junk rig Potter

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 12:39:54 PDT

One of the UK Potters was offered with a junk rig option. I think there is
a poor quality photo of it on the Potter Yachters web site, reproduced from
a newsletter picture. See the old brochures section.

My impression is that a junk rig is heavy and has too many strings, but I
have no experience with one. One of our UK members may have seen one.

The lateen conversion was simple because I could use off-the-shelf Sunfish
sail and spars. I just had to add a strong socket for the Sunfish mast,
located at the forward edge of the cabintop and secured to cabintop and
cabin sole. It seems to be a little faster off the wind and a little slower
upwind than a new Potter.

I would like to have a mainsail for my gunter rig that would have the same
area as the main on the new Potters, since I frequently sail with other
Potters. I can use the newer type sail but find the full length batten
prevents furling when the gunter yard is lowered. I'm thinking of something
like a batwing sail but perhaps with only a single batten. Any full-length
battens would have to radiate from the base of the gunter yard in order to
fold up neatly when the yard is lowered.

You mentioned a requirement to tow behind your Toyota RV. I can tow my P15
behind a 75 Toyota Chinook, the smallest of the Toyota RVs. The Chinook is
slow climbing long steep grades, but not noticeably worse with the Potter
behind. I just shift down and move into the slow truck lane. Most any
vehicle will pull a P15. I just bought a Plymouth Grand Voyager with tow
package, rated for towing up to 3500 lb, just in case I should get a P19 or
other heavier boat.

Harry

>Harry Gordon
>P14 #234, Manatee
>Propelled by gunter rig, lateen rig, electric power, or Seagull
>Mountain View, CA
>
> Harry .
> Have you every tried putting a junk rig on a potter. I just picked up a
>book on junk rigging and was curious as if you have every tried it or know
>or someone who has tried it .
> Mac Mclain
> 3 Kayaks but no little sail boat yet. (Has to be small enough and light
>enough to tow behind my Toyota RV)
> Beaverton ,Or.

Bids starting at $7 for thousands of products - uBid.com