RE: [WWP] Re: P19 keel weight (was Have the "keel" galvanized?)

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 16:11:31 PDT

Karen,

Your boat should have a galvanized keel, with hull number 1010. It's newer
than mid-1996 right?. According to some correspondence I had last year with
Darrow Bishop, who was in charge of production back then, the first
galvanized keels by IM came out in 1996.

 Just touch it up with anti-rust paint or epoxy periodically.

The 1985 keel on my boat didn't come galvanized like the new ones from IM.
Mine is coated with 2 part epoxy since about 1990. It spent 5 years in a
wetslip with no apparent ill effects on the keel.

When I had the keel out last fall, I put anti-fouling on the keel and inside
the trunk -- just in case I ever put her in the water for longer than a
weekend. Don't want any critters building their home-sweet-home up inside
that trunk and jamming the keel stuck.

Judy