Re: [WWP] SCA P-19 article

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 14:13:57 PDT

The original West Wight Potter was designed by Stanley Smith on the Isle of
Wight for plywood construction. The design, a 14-footer, was imported to
the U.S. by Herb Stewart of HMS Marine, who manufactured a fiberglass
version. Herb later designed the HMS-18, conceptually a scaling up of the
Potter but with some notable differences. It retained the hard chine but
had less sheer than the Potter and had a vertically hoisted daggerboard
type keel instead of the swing up centerplate of the Potter. Manufacturing
of the HMS-18 was interrupted but later resumed, and the boat was renamed
the West Wight Potter 19. The original WWP 14 became the WWP 15. HMS Marine
was sold and became International Marine, still in the same location in
Inglewood, CA. Other versions of the P14/15 have been manufactured in the
UK in both fiberglass and wood, but the HMS-18/P19 is of U.S. design and
manufacture only.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA

>It seems to me the best place to ask this question is here.
>
>I read the SCA article on the P-19s, and one thing that really bothered
>me was how different the history of the boat was from what seems to be
>actual history. I'd always thought that the West Wight Potter was a
>design from the Isle of Wight imported to here, yet the SCA article
>claims it was a design from a producer in CA.
>
>Can someone set this right? What the heck is the real history of our
>beloved boats?
>
>Bill B.
>P-19 #454, Dream Catcher
>Nampa, ID

>Best friends, most artistic, class clown Find 'em here:
>
>Post: WWPotter@egroups.com
>Help: WWPotter-owner@egroups.com

Up to 60% OFF food!
Buy Now and Shipping is Free.