Re: [WWP] SCA P-19 article

From: Magico1@aol.com
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 19:38:42 PDT

   The SCA article on the Potter 19 is correct. In 1969 Herb Stewart
purchased the international rights to the name west Wight Potter. In 1971 he
launched the first HMS 18. Herb was a good boat designer and he understood
what made the little P.14 such a great boat. Many of Stanely Smiths ideas
were designed into the big Potter. When I went to the factory in 1974 to pick
up my P.14 Breezy, I helped them take a HMS 18 out of the mold. I fell in
love with the 18, but at that time I could only afford the little one. Years
later I found my HMS 18 Sunshine, she was well used and needing lots of work.
She might even be the same boat that I helped give birth to many years ago.
As far as I am concerned, a little bit of Stanley Smiths genius sails with
every Potter 19.

        Jerry Barrilleaux HMS 18#48 Sunshine & P 14 #564 Breezy