[WWP] Maiden Voyage

From: Steve Merchant (stevenL652@netscape.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 20:36:40 PDT

Hello all. Bear Lake partly in Utah and partly in Idaho is now graced with a
Potter 19. I don't know if Winter's Dream is the first Potter ever on the
lake, but certainly the first this year. She slipped into the water last
Monday the 8th, right at home, after about 30 minutes of rig time. Bought in
Marina Del Ray and towed without incident these 900 miles through California,
Nevada and Utah to Bear Lake at about 6000'.

Too late to go sailing Monday, so Tuesday morning my wife and I motored out of
Bear Lake State Marina and put up the Genoa and mainsail in a light breeze.
Great time for about 20 minutes, then dead calm. Should have had a
premonition. Without any warning the wind is 30 knots and the boat is on its
side. Boat is smarter than we are and by itself bears up nicely into the wind.
Wife grabs her life vest and starts to wriggle into it. Wind catches the boat
and we are again staring between our toes at the water. Wife is now in the
life vest. Boat bears up nicely into the wind. The wind seems to gust even
more and for the third time we are on our beam-ends. Wife reports that her
life just flashed before her eyes. The boat bears up nicely into the wind by
itself. Skipper finally manages to furl the Genoa, removing some of the wind
pressure on the boat. No more near knockdowns. Wind still blowing just the
same, gusting higher. Wife requests a short recess until things quiet down.
Skipper concurs. Wind stays that way for three days, plus snow. Long recess.

Finally, Saturday, the weather is perfect. Spend four hours or so sailing in a
strong breeze. The wife finishes reading Patrick O'Brien's "The Reverse of the
Medal" while we sail up and down off Garden City, Utah. Wife agrees the boat
is perfect and the first day was just an aberration. Skipper agrees. The boat
is very tolerant and forgiving of inexperience. We agree we will keep her.

If you are in the area, try out Bear Lake. It is about 25 miles by 5. Best
launch site is Bear Lake State Marina at the southwest corner of the lake.
Home of the Bear Lake Yacht Club. In addition to a half dozen campsites, there
are several motels nearby. Rest Rooms and showers available at the Marina.
Most other amenities available in nearby Garden City, Utah, including world
famous raspberry milk shakes. But watch out for those southwest winds that
spring up before a frontal passage.

Steve and Deanna Merchant
WWP 19 #824 "Winter's Dream"

Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.
To learn more click here: