Re: [WWP] Maiden Voyage

From: Karen Johnson (kojohns@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 11:37:53 PDT

Hi Steve and Alan,
    We had a similar maiden voyage on Lake Lanier in Georgia. Our Genoa was
all the way out and our main was up, too and close hauled. There was very
little wind and we were socializing with our company when a gust took us by
surprise and the next thing we knew, the starboard rail was in the water and I
thought for sure we were going over. I know one of the problems we had was
that our shrouds were not tight enough. Heck, they weren't tight at all! And
I'm sure the forestay being loose added greatly to the situation. By the looks
of the boat, it appeared that the genoa was the primary culprit. It can catch
a lot of wind! Of course this experience repeated itself within 30 seconds and
at that point we got the genoa reefed and I have been afraid to let it all the
way out ever since. That is when I decided that I needed to learn how to rig
the boat properly and learn more about sailing.
    It is nice to know that others have had similar experiences and the boat
was forgiving. And it is great to have a forum on-line to exchange knowledge
and stories.
    Thank you, all!

 Fair Breezes,

 Karen Johnson