Re: P19 Centerboard Help

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 23:19:26 PST

In reference to the thread on "Potters turtling, blowing up, etc.."
most of us who have had our Potters for a long time ( 15-25 years )
know of only three or so verified stories of the little boats (p-15's)
getting upside down, and none about 19's.... and in the former case
the right combination of a lot of factors, extremely rough water and
wind, main-sheets sat on or jammed, not reefing when it was still
easy to do so, were some of the causal factors.. so... three reports
over 15 years from a group of 2000 or more boats... sounds better
than the usual auto traffic statistics by a bunch, and notably no
lost crew or skippers.. Watch some wind surfers dump it several
times in a single day, or some laser or banshee fleets go over when
a big gust hits unexpectedly, and I think one is then inclined to view
the little P-15 as extremely stable and extremely forgiving... I recommend
just continuing to sail within one's limitations, gradually increasing one's
understanding and skill, which the Potter will allow you to do, and don't
worry too much... just get on the water and have fun, as so many of us
have been able to do with both the Potter 15, and 19..
Best wishes..
Bruce
Bruce Hood, P-15 "Aillte", sail no. 1246, since 1985
Chico, California