Re: Mast raising and lowering

SolarFry@aol.com
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:14:34 EDT

>From the discussion, replies and my observations I gather: use of bungi cords
to maintain gin pole erection must accompany use of line to limit how far mast
may sway as it is lifted... Are lines also used to stabilize gin pole?

I plan a change from manual lifting system as use of left hand to lift mast
induces pain on right hand used to stabilize it. The left hand effort is
affecting the right hand which has a tendency to put me in dire straits.

The plan:
I have a 1 1/2" thick 7' wood gin pole attached to an eyelet at the base of
the mast about 3'' above the stand. The main halyard attaches to end of pole
and a second line goes from end of pole thru a block at the fwd cdi (forestay
base) attachment point and a racheting boom vang system. We pull on the line
to lift the mast. (This is very similar to the factory system as I copied it
from "Royce's Sailing Illustrated") However it requires someone to stabilize
the mast on the way up. I was going to use bungy cords. But, now, am
concerned. I would hate to drill any holes on the cab top as this encourages
leaking... Does the gin pole need to be stabilized also?

Best
SF

To: eric@winternet.com (Eric Pederson)
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com (wwpotter)

I disagree on the bungees. I have the ministays, and when raising the mast
with a
slight gust of wind, the stresses on the ministays are significant. I doubt
that
bungeeing the remaining shrouds would give you the rigidity needed.

Eric Pederson wrote:

> It has been rumored that SolarFry@aol.com said:
> >
> > Instead of mini stays on the mast lifting system... Can you use strong
bungi
> > cords attached to the shroud stands to stabilize mast on the way up?
>
> Bungies would probably work, if you could figure out a secure way to attach
> them to the shroud chainplates. If you keep your shrouds unattached when
> trailering, you could just use the regular attachment points. On the
factory
> system, there are U-bolts on the cabin top for the baby stays. I suspect
> the only reason to need them up there is so the wire stay does not abrade
> anything on the cabin top and it would otherwise angle down to the side
deck.
> With a bungie, you'd just have to watch out for chafe on the bungie itself,
> since it would probably drag across the cabin top hand holds and the top
edge
> of the cabin top itself.
>
> > Currently I lift mast with my left hand and only use right to steady it
while
> > my wife pulls the CDI base with a line run through a block attached to
CDI

--
Paul Allikas
Raleigh, NC