Re: Singlehandling a P19

Mac Davis (cgula@innet.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:45:26 -0400

Greetings, Dick:
A couple of thoughts in answer to your singlehanding questions:
First, approaching a dock, decide a good ways out whether you're going to
make your approach into the wind (preferred) or downwind. If you final
approach is into the wind, drop the jib and continue on the main alone. Get
the boat hook out and put the fenders overboard on the approach side. Steer
from the approach side. Try for about a 30-40 º angle to the dock. About
2-4 boat lengths (varies with the wind and boat speed) out from the
apporoach, let the mainsheet run free. As the boat coasts up to the dock,
turn boat parallel to dock and use boat hook to grap something to stop you -
like a cleat. If things aren't to your liking, wave off the approach by
tightening the mainsheet and steering away.

If your final is of necessity downwind, be more prudent. Get the main down
and stowed out of the way and approach on jib only. Again, try for a 30-40
º approach and let the jib fly free 6 or more boat lengths. When you come
parallel, grap something and stop the boat. This is usually a one shot
deal, so be prepared to fend off if you can't get the boat stopped.

A mooring buoy approach is simpler, and I prefer to approach downwind, hook
the pennant with the boat hook, and let momentum spin the boat around into
the wind. Tie the boathook to a forward cleat so if you misjudge your speed
you won't lose the boathook.

General rules - plan ahead, go slow - ideally, the boat will run out of
speed and stop just as you turn parallel-and be prepared to scramble like
hell in close. After you practice some, you'll get a much better idea of
how long you have to get what needs to be done accomplished. A really good
practice drill is to take an old plastic jug, tie a line with a weight to it
and use it a buoy in some place where you have plenty of water on both
sides. Good man-overboard practice too.

Or buy a motor.
Regards,
Mac Davis, Kelpie, WWP19#804, Aripeka, Fl