RE: Pulling a P19

Eric Johnson (eric@theftnet.net)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:49:53 -0800

> I'm looking at obtaining an older Toyota Land Cruiser, the two-door
> J40(?) type with the straight 6 engine. I'm wondering what others
> on this list might consider the minimum sized vehicle for towing a
> P-19, including over high mountains. I'm not worried about going
> 65 mph over the Rockies, I'll happily drop down to 45 mph if need
> be, but I don't want to drop below that if I can, and I don't want
> the engine struggling at maximum output to maintain that speed.

Well, I happen to be a toyota section editor over at off-road.com, so I can
help you out lots! An FJ-40 (gasoline) or especially the BJ-40 (diesel) has
all the power you'd ever need to tow a P19. No problem at all. They have fat
torquey motors. A lot of the short wheelbase LC's you see though will have
been converted to domestic chevy (usually 327 or 350) engines which are
lighter and more powerful. Towing just won't be an issue. The short
wheelbase is my only concern, only because a SWB rig is squirrley to begin
with (LC's have notoriously bad steering) and with some extra weight back
there the tail will be wagging the dog a bit. But the P19 doesn't weight
much so it won't be too bad.

> >From what I've read here and there, mostly looking at towing
> capacities, a 6 cylinder is the minimum I want.

I tow all over with my 4-cyl 4runner, so the torquey F motor won't have any
trouble.

>I'm also wondering
> about wind hitting the boat and the vehicle being heavy enough to
> contain the side pressure on the boat and not be blown out of
> control.

Also not an issue. Land Cruisers are VERY heavy - 5000+ pounds.

> Any comments welcome. (I know I'll get them anyway, might as well
> invite them! :-)

If you have more specific questions about the land cruisers, check our the
land cruiser newsgroups at off-road.com or the various mail lists and
whatnot. ww.tlca.org is a good starting place. I can help you out in
whatever you need.