Nissan 8 HP alternator specs. -> Charging from OB and more

SolarFry@aol.com
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:08:22 EST

In a message dated 2/4/99 2:51:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, ej@tx3.com writes:

<< > >John,
> I have a Nissan 8hp with electric start and generator. It seems to do the
> job well for me. I have a group 24 gel cell and a group 27 wet cell
> connected to a battery switch in the cabinet under the stove. From the
> switch I ran +& - leads to under the aftmost portion of the port coaming.
> All leads (wires) are 4 gauge marine grade tinned wire. These are huge and
> overkill but I did not want any loss of power due to resistence, as I had
> called Nissan US in Texas and was told by a Tech rep that (off
> the top his
> head--"he didn't know") at best I could expect only 2/10ths of an amp for
> charging batterys. >>

Nissan/Tohatsu 8HP alternator specs (by Nissan Svce. manual) indicate 80 Watts
at 2800 RPM Max. That is about 6.5 Amps, roughly and could show 15 to 16
volts on a voltmeter. The diode/rectifier will clamp voltage down when battery
is fully charged. So, I believe you need not worry about frying battery unless
you run motor for 24 or more hours at more than 2000 RPMs continuously.

Most I have run my motor at is about 1800 RPM with alternator showing about 14
volts. I did not mean to state that it would peak out at 13.8 volts. I believe
it is capable of putting out close to 16 Volts at higher RPMs. This things
charge batteries by increasing voltage, so at maximum output it could reach 16
volts.

Best
SF