Re: cruising spinakker

Rye Gewalt (ryeg@vais.net)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:05:06 -0500

I am not a sail expert but I saw one on TV once.....

In my view of things, a Cruising Spinnaker is like a large, light, jib
(genoa) with a great big belly. You fly it like a jib with sheets around each
side of the boat. The big difference is that you can loosen (or tighten) the
luff to change the sail from something that looks like a jib (reaching) to
something that flys like a big fantastic kite up in front of the boat
(running). A separate line is run from the foot (clew?) to to the cockpit to
adjust the luff tension from tight to really loose. A pole isn't necessary,
but a whisker pole can be used to hold out the foot in light wind situations
-- just like one does with a jib. Because the sail doesn't require a pole,
it can be flown single handed ... a real advantage on our small boats.
Because the leach tension is adjustable using a line to the cockpit, the sail
can be played with endlessly to get "just the right set up". The sail is not
ideal for sailing really close to the wind, but at all other points of sail
it's quite usable -- and great fun. I recommend one for the sheer joy of
watching the thing fill up with air and make the scenery a little bit
brighter. The sightseers should be required to pay a quarter a piece for
enjoying our colorful sails...

Regards
Rye