RE: GENOA!!!

Stallings Mike (Stallings_Mike@prc.com)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:10:33 -0400

Ken,

I know the feeling. I sailed with my P15 genoa yesterday for the
first time and had a reaction similar to yours. It is a fun sail to
operate. The winds were typical Lafayette River 0-15 knots and swirly, and
I was glad my brother was there to assist the first time.

My genoa is from an unknown source, not from IM. So I'm wondering
how large it is compared to the IM. The clew reaches back almost to the
cockpit. How about the IM genoa?

How to rig it properly? I ran the sheets outside the side stays,
back to traveller blocks along the sides, then back up to the jib fairleads
(my terminology may be incorrect). The sail set beautifully. But this puts
an awkward load on the jib fairlead. Experimenting by pushing down on the
sheets lead me to believe the sail may set just as well by running it
directly to the jib fairleads. Any opinions?

I've been told that both previous owners of my boat claimed that the
genoa was no faster than the standard jib. Am I missing something?
Certainly it felt faster, but we did not set the standard jib for
comparison. I do not see how they could have set it incorrectly. This sail
sets beautifully, and complains loudly when unhappy.

Mike Stallings
'85 P15 #1589, Norfolk VA