Re: Dagger board

From: Ted Duke (tduke@rockbridge.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 12:25:13 PST

Mac,

I have been on the list for 3+ years and have only heard of
one P19 turtling and I believe the keel was up when the mast
was raised. My experience which I have related where the
wind shifted and suddenly increased in dra,atically in
speed, which laid my Potter over, didn't affect the board,
and the more I think about it I think it would have to
turtle TOTALLY before that board would move up (or actually
down if you were turtled). Its iron and it won't slide "up"
even if the boat is at 90 degrees.

Now in the event a P19 did turtle with the board down and
not secured WOULD IT Slide "up", therefore down? I suggest
that some of our more intrepid Potterers (with some
engineering help of course) try it and let the rest of us
know.

Judy, will you organize that? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626 The Duchess
Mountains of Virginia