Re: Sailing dingy

From: Thomas Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 19:42:02 PST

With the cost of a walker bay dingy at about $800+ sailing version, I was
intrigued by a dinghy i saw on ebay, with sail and motor. The cost
(including everything in parts, motor, sail, etc) is significantly less
than buying a new boat and sail rig would be not to mention adding oars and
a 2 hp outboard--even more cost.

My challenge is the seller is in Ohio and says the item must be picked up
in person (no shipping option). I wonder if he could change his mind...
Shipping added would still be less expensive over all.

Anyone have any advice on shipping an 8' dinghy and its oars, motor and
sail rig? how much might it cost, does ups do this sort of thing or would
it have to be done by a shipper like consolidated or yellow? how doyou
pack an 8' dinghy? are there packing companies that do that? How much
might it cost?

thomas westerman
P19 #578 Colorado Springs