New dinghy and homebrew motor idea!

From: Thos. Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 10:12:19 PST

This one is a little off the wall but give it a go as an idea:

I have thought about this idea and wondered if it had any merit:

"What if" for our small dinghy, instead of buying a commercial 2 hp motor
for $500 or more, we went down to the hardware store or tool store and
bought an $80 2-stroke weed wacker. Then we took the nylon cord cutter
aparatus off and attached a marine propeller in its place? It seems we
would have an inexpensive motor unit for our little dinghy. It wouldnt
pollute the water since it is air cooled (maybe noisey though). Could
probably devise some simple transom mount device with some type of loop of
rope or even a large u bolt.

I remember Roger Moore as James Bond using a similar type of motor on
little river boats somewhere in Asia (Thailand? or Hong Kong) in "the man
with the golden gun". Very similar setup, a motor on a pivot point on the
transom with a long rod shaft and an open/unprotected propeller at the end.

What do you think?

Thomas Westerman
P19#578 Colorado Springs...