Heavy seas

From: Kellan Hatch (kellan_hatch@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 19:27:45 PST

OK,

I've been trying to figure out what is the best way to deal with really scary weather conditions. So far, heaving-to with a reef has proven to be my best situation when caught in a violent squall.

In the past week I've read 3 different and conflicting pieces of advice, all of which claim to be backed by the latest research. The Annapolis Book of Seamanship says that laying ahull, preferrably with a drogue trailing off the windward side from a bridle works best because it creates a slick to windward that lessens the size of the waves. The SailRite catalog says, "The proper position has been found to be "stern to" the oncoming waves; this keeps the boat running with the wind and waves, lessening the relative speed of the onrushing walls of water." Paratec (unsure of spelling), a manufacturer or sea-anchors, claims that bow-to has been proven to be the only truly safe way to deal with very heavy seas.

I guess the body of water is also a serious point of consideration. Running with the wind at 3 knots on a lake might find you on shore before long, while heaving-to at 1 knot might keep you off the rocks longer.

Any opinions of relevant data?

Thanks,
Kellan Hatch
P-19 #1059, Moondance