Re: Heavy seas

From: Robin Miller (roblimo@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 21:13:05 PST

> I've been trying to figure out what is the best way to
> deal with really scary weather conditions. So far,
> heaving-to with a reef has proven to be my best situation
> when caught in a violent squall.

My potter 19 isn't delivered yet, so I can't speak
specifically about a Potter, but...

...in general, with big-butt (wide transom) boats like a
potter, I've generally been most comfortable hove to. With
a canoe stern (double-ender) running before the wind under
a small jib in hard weather is a *blast*! If it's a boat
that tends to bury its bows, a jib upside down will
generally give you more lift, and very few people these
days will know that this is a traditional "vessel in
distress" signal and bother you.

In "survival" weather, I've generally found a sea anchor
can give the best ride. For a little boat like a Potter,
all you need is some line with something small that'll
float (like a life vest) tied to the end of it, streamed
off the bow to keep your head to the wind. You will want to
play with the line length to get things as smooth as
possible, and find the most comfortable tiller position and
lash it there unless you like hanging onto the thing and
getting worn out.

Hazards downwind can change all this. I don't know about
using power. I have never had much luck in really bad
weather with outboards hanging off of transoms. They have
always drowned on me.

- Robin "roblimo" Miller