RE: Refinishing Teak - what a difference!

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 08:32:36 PST

> Out of sheer insane boredom this weekend, I finally
> decided to whip out one of my winter boat projects,
> refinishing the teak. What an incredible difference
> it makes! I could not believe what a little sanding
> and Cetol could do! I still need to put on one more
> coat all around (for a total of 3), but am now
> thinking, "If it looks this good with the Cetol, what
> will it look like with the glossy finish that the West
> Marine guy tried to sell me to go on top of the
> cetol?" Has anyone had any experience with this
> glossy finish to go on top of Cetol? Is it worth the
> cost and extra effort? Thanks.

I don't use Cetol, just normal glossy varnish, and I think it looks
fantastic when all the wood on a potter is bright and glossy. It really
gives a shippy look to a plastic boat.

I've been considering adding even more wood trim. I think a strip of
half-round mahogany, say a 3/4" diameter, along the top edges of the cabin
sides would look real nice.

If my transom wasn't already so busy with ladders and motor and thru-hulls,
I'd epoxy a mahogany door skin to the fiberglass and varnish it up.