Re: Cell Phone or VHF?

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 19:58:00 PST

For whatever it might be worth... I've had a handheld VHF since
1987, but never used it to call anyone.. have listened in to traffic
on S.F. Bay, and weather channels...The VHF radio seems like it is
one of those items like a Torque Wrench... Expensive, and you only need it
about once every ten years, but then you really need it.. I would imagine if
you're sailing
on Lakes a lot the cell phone would be great, especially if you get the
number of the Sheriff's Dept., the Marina store by the launch ramp,
etc. just before you set sail from the dock.. and of course a cell phone
is useful on lots of days other than sailing days.. If you're sailing
busy harbors, or just offshore in blue-water the VHF is definitely
the way to contact the Coast Guard. I guess one could go belt, suspenders,
and all ...and carry both. Perhaps the ideal thing in having either
would be the ability to call in help when you run across someone else
in difficulty...
Best wishes
Bruce
Bruce Hood P-15 "Aillte", Sail no. 1246