Genoa tracks

From: denis4x4@frontier.net
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 05:17:02 PST

At the risk of incurring the wrath of other contributors to this form by
ignoring social issues and inquiring about the proper outfitting of a Potter
15, I need some thoughts on the actual need to use genoa tracks/cars. This
boat will be used for casual lake sailing and to teach my 6 & 8 year old
grandchildren that sailing USED to be a way to escape the whiny prejudices
of the general population. In any event, I have the genoa as well as the
standard jib set up with a downhaul. I also need some input as to wether
the factory motor mount will hold up using a 65# Mariner 5-HP or if I should
replace it with an aftermarket spring loaded motor mount. In cleaning this
boat up, I discovered that the original owner 'glassed in a couple of cement
12" X 12" patio pavers on either side of the keel board trunk.
Unfortunately, this "ballast" blocks access to the keel bolt. Any thoughts?
By the way, there is a 6' X 1-1/2" extruded aluminun carpet cap that makes
an excellent replacement for the older boats with aluminum hatch slides.
The hole spacing is even correct. Price was under 10 bucks including pop
rivits. By the way, I paid $700 for a pretty complete Potter. I junked the
trailer and picked up a new one at the factory as I was trailering this boat
900 miles.

Dennis Pierce
Gypsy Witch V
Durango CO