RE: Trailer balance

From: Phlzfan (phlzfan@desupernet.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 21:48:26 PDT

: Duncan Young wrote:
>I marked my hull where the carpeted bunkers rested and moved
>the boat aft on the trailer about 8.5" and got a much lighter (about 50
>lbs.) tongue weight and everything seems to sit well now. Of course, I do
>have more rear overhang but that isn't a big problem.

I have recently replaced my Garges trailer with a Load-Rite which is
slightly heavier, has larger diameter wheels/tires, has rollers instead of
bunks, and which produces about double the tongue weight (120lbs vs 60lbs
for the Garges).

What a difference!!

Since there is now no overhang at all and the tongue is much longer,
launching is easier by virtue of much reduced tendency to jackknife and
towing is MUCH easier because of the increased tongue weight. I tow the
boat with a little 4-cylinder Toyota truck (1987 - 130,000 miles), and I'm
happy not to have to stand in the water to launch and retrieve and not to
have to bubble my exhaust on steep ramps. Finally, the Load-Rite has
bearing buddies with CLEAR housings allowing me to see the grease and to
stop putting grease in just as the spring begins to compress.

Cool. They took the Garges in trade, resulting in a net cost of the
Load-Rite of about $400. Cheap at twice the price (OK, maybe not, but worth
the $400).

Scott Paist
P-15 TUMP
Lancaster, PA