Re: [WWP] Fast Pins!!

From: chris.beatty@bankofamerica.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:53:31 PDT

Greg Yu's was the first P19 that I heard of disconnecting the shrouds. I don't
suppose there is much harm in it, but I would prefer not to on Deep Blue.
Basically, you can use a quick pin anywhere you would use a clevis/cotter
pin/ring.

Here's the places where I have seen quick pins often used:
1) Forestay.
2) Boom Vang.
3) Mainsheet block(s).
4) Block and tackle for mast raising.
5) Tiller to rudder.

There are two different types of quick pins. Those with a release and those
without a release mechanism. If you are placing the quick pin on something
which spends time operating in a "slack" situation (boom vang, mainsheet
blocks), you should use a quick pin WITH a release mechanism (more expensive).
If you are placing the quick pin in something that will have a degree of
constant friction to hold it in place (like a forestay) a quick pin without
release can be used.

Quickpins, for those who don't have the West Marine catalog, are stainless steel
pins, in various thickness and length that have two tiny ball bearings mounted
inside to help retain them in the "inserted" position. If they have a release
mechanism, the ball bearings will withdrawl into the pin when you depress the
release button-upon releasing the button the bearings are then forced out to
increase the diameter of the pin.

I know, you asked what time it was and I told you how to build a watch, sorry.

Chris Beatty
P19, #1176, Deep Blue
Alameda, CA

Lewis Baumstark <lbaum@preferred.com> on 04/19/2000 03:30:25 PM