[WWP] P-19 Dagger Board Latches

From: Bard Johnson (NBARD@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 23:03:59 PDT

Alan:

Regarding your questioning use of the P-19 dagger board latches in
shallow water:

In calmer waters, leaving the latches unconnected in shallow water to
prevent damage would probably be fine, IMHO. I find that choppy waters,
like San Francisco Bay and Lake Tahoe, will cause an unlatched board to
rock fore and aft with the boat pitching, allowing water to enter the
cabin at the seal area atop the trunk.

I hit a rock in the Oakland Estuary once and broke all four latches. The
rear of the dagger board cap lifted about 4 to 6", but there was no
other damage. Four new latches (about $50) and some epoxy to fill the
stripped out screw holes fixed it. I would like some input on some
other way to hold the board down to prevent leaks, yet give way when
needed. I suppose an alternate method should also hold the board down
in the trunk during a capsize. My experience indicates that the
liklihood of a P-19 turning turtle is pretty remote, -- but!

Bard Johnson
P-19 997 Passing Wind
San Jose, CA

Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
Click here for more details.