[WWP] Re:P-19 Forestay Adjustment/Rigging

From: Karen Johnson (kojohns@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 13:29:44 PDT

Thank you Judy B. for your instructions on Rigging a P-19. We recently adopted "Miss Maggie," a P-19 from Clemson, SC. (We live near Cleveland, OH). We weren't sure how to rig her, but your post from a week ago
sure helped. However, we do not seem to have the sensitivity to visually determine if the mast is perpendicular to the cockpit seats. We tried to do this at the dock at a ramp, but it was too busy and then we
anchored and did the rigging there. We couldn't see what we were doing. I am wondering if we can rig her in the driveway by putting a level on a cockpit seat and adjusting the trailer wheel jack until the seats
are level. Then tying a weight on the halyard and using it as a plumb line to get the mast perpendicular to the seats. Should this work? Have you ever tried anything similar? I am concerned that the seats are
on a slight angle for drainage.
    As a note, the mast itself seems to have a slight backwards bend towards the top without the rigging causing it. Is that possibly pre-bend?
    Also, after we tightened the the shrouds(the lowers at a low pitched musical note and the uppers are on a bit higher note), we then tightened the forestay. We had a hard time determining how tight to make it
since we have a genoa rolled on it. We did notice that
when we took it off after our sail, we might not have been able to put it back on since we could only pull it by hand to within an inch or so of the chainplate, which sounds like we had it too tight. The
turnbuckle was almost all of the way shortened, also. How do we gauge the proper tension on the forestay with roller furling? Can we use one of those Johnson quick release levers on the forestay in addition to
the backstay when we have roller furling?
    Also, we are having some problems with the roller furling. The line seems too small and it seems way too hard to pull on to furl. We took it apart and didn't find any problems. However, the gray plastic
outside of the furler where the sail slides into has a fairly big kink in it like it was left in the sun and it semi-melted while hanging over the edge of something. I don't know if that is a problem. With the
forestay tight, the kink smooths out. Also, the fairlead that the reefing line goes through after it comes off the roller furler has a large groove chewed through it and it is chewing up the line. Can the reefing
line be replaced by maybe a 1/4" line? Do you have a fairlead on your boat or a block(pulley) instead?
        Thanks so much to all of you. We are learning a lot by reading your messages.

Happy Pottering,
Karen Johnson
"Miss Maggie," P-19
Grafton, OH