RE: [WWP] Re:P-19 Forestay Adjustment/Rigging

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 12:32:35 PDT

HI again Karen.

I missed a few questions you asked..

If you have the forestay tight enough, you won't be able to pull it to the
chain plate by hand. About an inch or 1.5" too short with hand tension is
about right. You need to have the forestay tight enough so it doesn't say
when you're pointing in high winds with a lot of power being generated by
the jib. If the forestay sags, the jib will get too deep a draft. If that
happends, you won't be able to point as high. nd the boat will lose some of
her good manners and heel alot in the gusts.

You'll need a little mechanical advantage to pull the forestay to the chain
plate, if you tune the rig for optimal performance. Most folks have some
kind of mast raising system that does the trick. If you always sail in
light-to moderate winds and don't mind trading performance and good manners
for ease of rigging, you can get by with a loose forestay.

I'm not sure , but I don't think you'll be able to use aJohnson lever
release on the forestay with the CDI. There's not enough room below the
drum for it to be practical , I think. Your sail would end up at least 12"
above the deck, which seems a bit unusual to me. But maybe it would be
okay. It's a novel idea I never really thought about until now.

The Johnson lever shroud adjuster should be a big help on the backstay. You
want the backstay loose to make fasteneing the forestay easier.

Judy B
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
SF Bay, CA