RE: [WWP] Have the "keel" galvanized?

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 09:35:08 PDT

more on rusty keels:

Around here it costs about $75 to hot-dip galvanize the P15 keel. You can
clean it up yourself before galvanizing.

Or you can clean up the rust and apply several coats of 2-part epoxy.

My keel was epoxied about 10 years ago by the prior owner. I've hit a
zillion rocks with it since then (including the time I sailed up that
"ramp" of 4' x 8' granite underwater 10' from a slip at Ayala Cove Marina)
and it's still in very good shape.

This year I had it out when I did my keel trunk project in my ridiculous and
never-ending quest to build the "Super Potter". What I did with my 390#
"lifting keel" on the P19 -- get the boatyard to drop it and let two of
their guys put it on a saw horse for me. I cleaned up the nicks, smoothed
the bottom where I ground it up on the "ramp" and re-epoxied. Then I put a
coat of Micron CSC anti-fouling on it. I let the strong guys put it back in
the boat for me and installed a new steel cable while I was at it.

Maintenance is easy. Crank it down a little and touch up the bottom edge
once a year with epoxy. Same maintenance you'd do on a galvanized keel.

IT'S A BIRD, IT'S A PLANE.... NO, IT'S SUPER POTTER! (sorry, I'm
getting silly.)

Fair winds,
Judy B
P19 #266 Redwing